By Museums of Serbia
Ministry of Culture and Media of the Republic of Serbia
National Museum Pančevo (2021) by National Museum PančevoMuseums of Serbia
The administrative building of the city of Pancevo built in 1833-1838. during the Habsburg reign. Today this is a modern institution with a large and valuable permanent exhibition, the gallery, a publishing activity, depots where thousands of museum objects are collected and professionally prepared, and with a computer and electronic equipment as well, which is indispensable id the Museum wants to step into the 21st century.
National Museum Pančevo (2021) by National Museum PančevoMuseums of Serbia
The museum grew out of private collections, like a lot of other museums in the world. It is one of the oldest institutions of this kind in the country. The Museum's research work comprises the boroughs of Pancevo, Opovo, Kovacica and Kovin. Objects for the museum were obtained in several ways: as donations, collecting them on the spot and buying them up.
The National Museum of Pancevo is a regional museum of a complex type, with departments of Archeology, History, Ethnology, Art History and Conservation. The Department of Art History is divided into art and a collection of applied art. Original version of "Migration of Serbs" by Paja Jovanovic, numerous works by Uros Predic, Constantine Danil, the Flag of the Serbian Duchy from the Revolution of 1848 and numerous archaeological artifacts dating from the early Neolithic and Starčevo cultur, until the late Middle Ages stand out among the numerous objects and works of art kept in the National Museum in Pancevo.
Department of Archeology
Archeology collections in the private property of numerous amateur archeologists, collectors, and antiquarians from the late 19th and at the beginning of 20th century were the base for establishment of the town museum in Pancevo in 1923. Today the archeological museum collection has 8000 of registered exhibits and several 10000 of objects in the scientific collection which is constantly increasing with the new income of archeological material.
Clay Vessel (Neolithic 6.300 – 5.400 BC) by National Museum PančevoMuseums of Serbia
A cup with two handles, decorated with warty protrusions. It was discovered in Starčevo, on the eponymous site of the oldest culture of the Late Stone Age in Serbia.
Clay Vessel (Neolithic 6.300 – 5.400 BC) by National Museum PančevoMuseums of Serbia
Pot decorated with the barbotine technique. It was discovered in Starčevo, on the eponymous site of the oldest culture of the Late Stone Age in Serbia.
Grave with ocher (Eneolithic/Copper Age) by National Museum PančevoMuseums of Serbia
Grave with ocher
The skeleton of a young person was discovered at the site "Livade" near Pančevo, it was transferred to the National Museum of Pančevo in its original position. It belongs to the steppe culture of graves with ocher under the mounds of the Copper Age (Yamna culture). Dated by radiocarbon method in the period 2828–2491 BC.
Bronze sword (Bronze Age, II millennium BC) by National Museum PančevoMuseums of Serbia
The sword was found near the confluence of the Velika Morava and the Danube, during the gravel extraction in 1976. The sword is of Mycenian type, and most probably imported from the Aegean region in the Late Bronze Age period c. 1400 B.C.
Bronze cauldron (Roman period, 2nd–3rd century AD) by National Museum PančevoMuseums of Serbia
Hemmoor type bronze cauldron made of thin bronze sheet with a handle whose tops end in the shape of stylized snake or dolphin heads. It came to this area as a war spoil or as a gift to barbarian tribal leaders. Antiquity period.
Belt fitting (Late Avar Period, 8th century AD.) by National Museum PančevoMuseums of Serbia
Belt fitting with a representation of a griffin, cast in bronze. It was discovered at the site „Gornjovaroška ciglana” in Pančevo. Late Antiquity / Early Middle Ages.
Silver earring (Middle Ages, 12th–13th century) by National Museum PančevoMuseums of Serbia
Silver earring type Stenjevac made in the technique of filigree and granulation. It was discovered in Omoljica near Pančevo, in the grave of a woman during the excavation of a medieval church on the site „Preko Slatine” and represents a unique finding on the territory of Serbia.
Iron helmet (Middle Ages, 13th–14th century) by National Museum PančevoMuseums of Serbia
Helmet made of iron, part of the war equipment of the Cuman horseman. It was discovered in Tomaševac near Zrenjanin, together with other parts of war equipment (armor, saber) and belt sets. It belonged to a Cuman chief or prince.
Belt buckle (Middle Ages, 13th–14th century) by National Museum PančevoMuseums of Serbia
Belt buckle made of silver and gold in the technique of casting and engraving. It was discovered together with parts of war equipment and other parts of the belt set in Tomaševac near Zrenjanin, and belonged to a Cuman chief or prince.
Belt fitting (Middle Ages, 13th–14th century) by National Museum PančevoMuseums of Serbia
Belt fitting made of silver and gold in the technique of casting and engraving. It was discovered together with parts of war equipment and other parts of the belt set in Tomaševac near Zrenjanin, and belonged to a Cuman chief or prince.
Department of Ethnology
The ethnologic department of National museum researches material culture, social life, earning, and spiritual customs related to life cycle of people who live on this territory. Systematic work on collecting of documentation started in 1952. Up to now 2754 objects have been collected and divided into collections and minor sets.
Nailed tree (Mid-19th century) by National Museum PančevoMuseums of Serbia
The Nailed tree occupies a central place in the permanent exhibition of the ethnological department of the National Museum of Pancevo, as an object of importance for the cultural identity of the city. Created in the middle of the 19th century, it is a witness to the golden age of crafts in Pancevo. The Nailed tree, 205 cm high, forks into three, also nailed branches. In the middle of the tree, about 30 cm wide, there is an iron link for attaching the tree to the wall.
Above the link, there is a chain with a heart-shaped decoration at one end. A horseshoe with the inscription "Eduard Fridel Josef Kogesch Pancszova 1869" was nailed to the top of the thicker branch. Along the entire trunk, there are countless hammered iron wedges with round heads, but also those in the shape of a heart and a dateline with three and four leaves. The wedges are mostly properly nailed, although there are also those that are crooked, badly and clumsily typed.
At the time of the guilds in Pancevo, a chained tree was located in the center of the city, on the square. It is characterized by a solemn rite of passage, a ritual in which metal craftsmen, blacksmiths and locksmiths participated. On a symbolic level, the custom of ritually driving wedges into a tree was a sign of the new status of a journeyman who had the honor of becoming a master and opening his own workshop. Decorations on the tree in the form of a horseshoe, heart and clover with 4 leaves are symbols of happiness and progress of the master in the future craft business. In this way, the beginning of a new masterpiece was symbolically marked. The Nailed tree has been in the National Museum of Pancevo since 1932.
Flag of the Pančevo fisheries support association (The first half of the 20th century) by National Museum PančevoMuseums of Serbia
Flag of the Pančevo fisheries support association
The green flag is made of silk damask, bordered with gold tassels and ornaments. Floral motifs are embroidered in the corners In the middle, on one side, the figure of St. Paul with an oar in his hand, with the inscription "Pancevo Fishermen's Support Association". The words "Saint Paul, pray for us" are also embroidered in the corners. On the other side of the flag there is a biblical motif in a medallion, Jesus Christ and two apostles in a boat with a fish.
Washing machine - The hand-operated washing machine consists of a metal, sheet metal part in the shape of a square trough in which a washing drum and water are placed. Below is an iron, black box in which the firewood is heated and thus the water is heated, which is poured into the tin part with the drum. In the third tin part, inside of which there is a gutter for separating smoke, there is a fountain for draining dirty water during washing. The drum rotates with a larger handle with a wooden handle. The number "2" is convex on the cover on one side in a stylized ellipse. On the board below the number is the inscription: "J.A. John AKTIEN- GESELLSCHAFT WIEN". The washing machine was made in Vienna (Wien) at the beginning of the 20th century. Machines of this type were sold in grocery stores. The washing machine was owned by Đuro Beba, who had a grocery store in Pancevo, from 1910 to 1950.
Department of History
History department of the national museum Pancevo was founded in 1947, its aim was to collect, expertly treat , preserve and expose objects significant for the history of the town and its surrounds. During the time the collection of objects was increased significantly so that now there are 2079 objects divided into three large chronological groups:
- Turkish period 1552.-1716.
- Austro-Hungarian period 1716.-1918.
- Yugoslav period 1918.-the end of 20th c.
Flag of the Serbian Voivodship - The original flag of Duke Stevan Šupljikac, the military leader of the Serbian insurgents in Vojvodina in the Great Revolution of 1848. The front is golden yellow, framed by yellow-black triangles. In the center is the Habsburg black double-headed eagle, which holds the Serbian coat of arms with a cross and four points. Below the coat of arms there is an inscription in Cyrillic: "Flag I. R. Voivodship of Serbia 1848." On the back of the flag, on a blue background, there is a medallion with the image of St. George with a spear in his hand. This side of the flag is framed by red-blue-white triangles in the colors of the Serbian tricolor.
Flintlock rifle "Jefferdar" (mid-19th century) by National Museum PančevoMuseums of Serbia
Flintlock rifle "Jefferdar"
Long flintlock rifle "Jefferdar" richly decorated with mother-of-pearl, silver and gold. It was made by masters from the Bay of Kotor, in the mid-19th century. The weapon was made with great care and was very richly decorated, it was obviously intended for an important person.
Flag of the Sokol Society from Pancevo - The flag dates from 1936. It is decorated with gold embroidery and tassels. On one side, which is in the colors of the flag of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia, there is the inscription "Sokolsko drustvo Pancevo 1911-1936" and the emblem of the society. On the other side, which is red, there is a representation of a falcon with outstretched wings and the inscription "Let's save Yugoslavia". The flag is made of Lyon silk and was designed by the artist Miloš Vušković, and it was made by Mara Pajić from Pancevo.
Department of Art History
The department of the Pancevo National Museum examines the development of fine arts from the eighteenth to the twentieth century, follows contemporary fine art and collects applied art objects. The systematic collection and handling of objects began in 1948 with the appointment of Dr. Borislav Yankulov and arts patron Olga Smederevac for museum trustees. The Fund was increased mainly through donations, and to a lesser extent, through the purchase of art objects.
Healing thе blind man (1945) by Uros Predic and National Museum PančevoMuseums of Serbia
Healing thе blind man
The stage ambience of the painting is the landscape bathed in the sun, figures and objects are defined by diffused light and light blue shadows, more freely treated than the previous version created half a century ago, which makes the work stand out in the artist's oeuvre.
St. Cyril and Methodius (1903) by Uros Predic and National Museum PančevoMuseums of Serbia
St. Cyril and Methodius
The work was ordered for the Public Library in Pancevo. It shows us two standing figures of saints given according to established iconography, with the exception of a realistic representation of characters with a measured expression between saintly serenity and indications of personality psychologization. The golden background is reminiscent of the traditional way of treatment. The icon is a combination of traditional and contemporary tendencies in Serbian Orthodox church art.
The Beatiful reader (1920) by Paja Jovanović and National Museum PančevoMuseums of Serbia
The Beatiful reader
The portrait of a young elegant woman, portrayed en face in the interior in a sitting position. A moment of leisure is shown, a modern excerpt from the life of the bourgeois elite, with an emphasis on the pensive expression of a young woman at the moment of reading the letter, placed in a rococo armchair. In her image, we recognize the face of the model, the artist's wife - Muni.
Portrait of Wife Muni (1920/1925) by Paja Jovanović and National Museum PančevoMuseums of Serbia
Portrait of Wife Muni
The artist's wife, an Austrian, Hermina Dauber-Jovanović, called Muni, was Paja's favorite model. In addition to her numerous portraits, she is depicted in many roles as a mythological or allegorical character. Out of a total of thirty-five acts in the legacy, thirteen belong to Hermine Dauber’s plays. Here she is painted in the form of a bust, which is outlined by the circular shape of the frame - a tondo, a representation resembling motifs from porcelain painted miniatures.
Migration of the Serbs (1896) by Paja Jovanović and National Museum PančevoMuseums of Serbia
Migration of the Serbs
The Synod of Serbian Orthodox Church, headed by Patriarch Georgi Brankovic, hired Paja Jovanovic, one of the most famous artists, to paint a monumental composition Migration of Serbs under Arsenij III Carnojevic in 1690, for the purpose of exhibiting at the Millennium Exhibition in Budapest in 1896. By organizing this exhibition, the Hungarian government intended to mark the millennium of christianisation and the arrival of Hungarians in the Pannonian Plain.
By representing the most important event in the past of the Pannonian Serbs, it was necessary to emphasize the privileged position and permanence of the presence of the Serbian church and people in this area. The version kept in the National Museum of Pancevo conveys the original idea of the author, by showing a portrait of the Serbian society of that time, while striving for historical authenticity, at the same time it has a heroic note.
Members of the church hierarchy, warriors and ordinary people fleeing with cattle are represented. The work was painted in 1895-1896., before the completion of corrections to the monumental composition that is kept in the Museum of the Serbian Orthodox Church in Belgrade. The artist then sold it to Zagreb art dealer Petar Nikolić with the right to reproduce it for fifty years. In the form of lithographic reproduction, the painting reached many homes and eventually became a national icon.
The National Museum of Pancevo, with the help of the city authorities, purchased the work from Marija Radojčić from Pancevo in 1971. The painting authentically testifies to a crucial historical event as well as the historical moment of the work's creation, the development and situation in Serbian art and culture, and therefore represents a very valuable work of national importance.
City in Winter (Winter landscape of Pančevo) (1930) by Milan Butozan and National Museum PančevoMuseums of Serbia
City in Winter
This could be a snowy landscape of any city, but it is a painting. Curved shapes of the cityscape - a winding road defines a curved view - a perspective imposed on the observer. The carriages, painted in the lower right corner, seem to descend from the hill, expanding the space of the painting beyond the borders of the frame. The artist's vision of the city is expressionist, although not fully and literally implemented formally by elements of expressionism.
Portrait of Aleksandar I Karađorđević (1923) by Uros Predic and National Museum PančevoMuseums of Serbia
Portrait of Aleksandar I Karađorđević
A representative portrait of the monarch in a sitting position, given below the knee in a half-profile in the interior. He is shown in an officer's uniform, with characteristic glasses, a discreet mustache and combed black hair. With his right hand, he is leaning on the empire style armchair in which he is sitting, and with the forearm of his left hand, in which he is holding bent white gloves on a table with an officer's hat on it. A officer’s saber is painted along the left leg.
Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Serbia
National Museum of Pancevo
The narration was provided by: Vojislav Đorđević, MA - senior curator archaeologist, Jelena Đorđević - senior curator archaeologist, Srđan Božović - senior curator historian, Aleksandra Jakovljević - senior curator ethnologist, Dimitrije Jovanov - curator art historian, Miroslav Birclin - archaeologist / director and Damir Prašnikar - curator art historian.