Through the second half of the 19th century the theatre building was used for other purposes. It was not rediscovered and restored as a playhouse until the mid 20th century.
Mrs Butler and Samuel Junior kept the company and its circuit going through the 1820s, however in 1830 they did not renew their lease for the Richmond Theatre.
The military garrison and the racecourse had closed. Lead mining and sheep farming were in decline, reducing the wealth and population of the town and audience numbers for the theatre dwindled.
The Theatre was used occasionally by other companies and managers.
Sometimes the theatre was hired by local people for performances.
Over the next 100 years, the building served a variety of purposes. It was used as a store for grain, paper and furniture.
David Brooks, Richmond's town clerk encouraged the building to be re-used as a theatre as part of celebrations of one of the town's charters in 1943.
As part of celebrations in commemoration of a town charter, a curtained stage was set up and the building was used for performances during 1943.
A curtained stage was set up for performances of three plays.
A further performance took place on August 6th, after which the stage curtain was once more taken down.
Dr Richard Southern, a theatre historian, together with the architect, Richard Leacroft carried out extensive research into the building's history.
The pit was rediscovered. When the lower part of the building was converted to a wine cellar, the pit had been covered up and brick vaults constructed below the new floor.
The pit was uncovered and benches were added as part of the renovation of the theatre.
The opening was attended by the Princess Royal.
The gala performance is led by Dame Edith Evans and Dame Sybil Thorndyke.
Images from the archive of The Georgian Theatre Royal, Richmond.