TREASURES OF THE POLISH MUSEUM COLLECTION

Artworks from the collection of the Polish Museum in Rapperswil

By The Polish Museum in Rapperswil

The Polish Museum in Rapperswil

TREASURES OF THE POLISH MUSEUM COLLECTIONThe Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Preface

The Polish Museum in the Swiss town of Rapperswil was established in 1870 upon the initiative of the Polish political emigrants. The main founder of the Museum was Count Władysław Broel-Plater, an insurgent of the November Uprising, who later became a political activist in France and Switzerland. The history of the Museum and its collections gives the Museum a special place among other museums worldwide. Housed in the old Rapperswil Castle which was restored by the Polish expat community, the Museum represents a joint effort of the Polish and Swiss people, an example of the co-existence of two cultures, and a proof that culture may facilitate closer links and understanding between nations. The Polish Museum’s holdings include a collection of old prints, the oldest of them dating back to 1494, a collection of 19th and 20th century painting, a gallery of late 18th century miniatures, collections of prints, militaria, numismatic items, orders and medals, as well as a rich cartographic collection. The Museum owes the nature and great diversity of its collections to its donors – Swiss nationals and Polish emigrants for whom the attachment to the Polish art and culture was a reference point in their new existence away from homeland. In addition to its art collection, the Museum also houses a library and an archive. The library has a large collection of old prints and Polonica. The archive contains the records of the rich history of diplomatic, scientific and economic relations between Poland and Switzerland. It also stores the records of the social life of Poles abroad. Visit the Polish Museum in Rapperswil

St. John (1600/1641) by Domenico Zampieri (1581-1641)?The Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Painting

The painting collection comprises over 700 objects from 16th century until present. The most numerous group consists of the 19th and 20th century paintings, in particular, the works created by the Polish painters in Munich: Józef Brandt, Alfred Wierusz-Kowalski, Józef Chełmoński, Leon Wyczółkowski, Julian Fałat, Wojciech Kossak, Teodor Axentowicz, or Zofia Stryjeńska. Moreover, the collection includes the works of painters who trained in Paris: Olga Boznańska, Józef Czapski, Vlastimil Hofman. An important part of the contemporary art collection are the 75 paintings by Hanna Kala Weynerowska from San Francisco, which were presented to the Museum by the painter herself.
Specially worthy of notice is the collection of 108 miniature paintings from the Dzików Castle, dating from the 18th and 19th centuries. The collection was a gift of Count Artur Tarnowski. It features mainly the works of Polish miniaturists, such as Wincenty Lesseur, a miniature painter at the court of King Stanisław August Poniatowski, and Waleria Tarnowska, but also the pieces by F.G. Remondini and H.F. Füger. The collection contains portraits of historical figures, and miniature copies of masterpieces of European painting.
The majority of works came to the Museum as gifts from the Polish expat community. The Museum received paintings from, among others, Julian Godlewski, Iza Landsberger-Poznańska, Count Artur Tarnowski, Czesław Marek, Grażyna Zawisza, and Hanna Kali Weynerowska.

Three sisters, Countesses Thun von Hohenstein (1792) by Wincenty Lesseur (1745-1813)The Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Madonna wearing white veil, Waleria Tarnowska (1782-1849), 1800/1850, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Portrait of a young girl, Wincenty Lesseur (1745-1813), 1797, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Peter Paul Rubens with his Wife, Wincenty Lesseur (1745-1813), 1797, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Krystyna of the Princes Radziwiłł, Wincenty Lesseur (1745-1813), 1796, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Louise-Elisabeth Vigee-Lebrun with her daughter, Wincenty Lesseur (1745-1813), 1809, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Madonna and Child with St. John, Wincenty Lesseur (1745-1813), 1798, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Concert, Wincenty Lesseur (1745-1813), 1796, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more

Napoleon’s retreat from Moscow (1900/1925) by Jan Chełmiński (1851-1925)The Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Steppe horse farm, Józef Brandt (1841-1915), 1876, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Hunt, Józef Brandt (1841-1915), 1900, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Four-horse carriage, Józef Chełmoński (1849-1914), 1873, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Departure, Józef Chełmoński (1849-1914), 1890, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
French cuirassier, Wojciech Kossak (1856-1942), 1903, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Village procession, Franciszek Streitt (1839-1890), 1870, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Insurgent patrol, Józef Chełmoński (1849-1914), 1878, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more

Wolf hunt by Alfred Wierusz-Kowalski (1849-1915)The Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Wolf (ca 1880) by Alfred Wierusz-Kowalski (1849-1915)The Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Landscape with rainbow, Stefan Filipkiewicz (1879-1944), From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Mountain landscape, Leon Wyczółkowski (1852-1936), 1905, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more

Bystra by Julian Fałat (1853-1929)The Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Garden in Italy, Wojciech Weiss (1875-1950), From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Chrysanthemums, Leon Wyczółkowski (1852-1936), ca. 1900, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Study of horse heads, Piotr Michałowski (1800-1855), 1 poł. XIX w., From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Horseman, Piotr Michałowski (1800-1855), 1 poł. XIX w., From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more

A drawing depicting two Jewish merchants selling wine to a National Guard soldier. (ca. 1800) by Jan Piotr Norblin (1745-1830)The Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Bear hunting, Julian Fałat (1853-1929), ca. 1890, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Sketch for a prayer, Jacek Malczewski (1854-1929), 1913, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Girl with a jug, Teodor Axentowicz (1859-1938), 1 poł. XX w., From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Portrait of a woman, Teodor Axentowicz (1859-1938), 1 poł. XX w., From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Portrait of Henryk Bukowski’s daughter., Zygmunt Ajdukiewicz (1861-1917), 1903, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Self-portrait, Olga Boznańska (1865-1940), 1 poł. XIX w., From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Portrait of a Man, Olga Boznańska (1865-1940), 1 poł. XX w., From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Bust of Teresa Silberstein, Samuel Hirszenberg (1865 – 1908), 1902, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Rabbi, Zofia Dembowska-Romer (1885-1972), 1942, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Portrait of a girl, Maurycy Trębacz (1861-1941), 1892, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Portrait of a woman with navy-blue hat, unknown author, 1933, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Girl with the shopping, Wacław Szymanowski (1859-1930), 1889, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Girl with ostrich, Janusz Lewandowski (1937- ), From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Girl combing her hair at the spring, Zofia Stryjeńska (1891-1976), From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more

Boy with feather by Hanna “Kali” Weynerowska (1918-1998)The Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Girl with a scarf, Hanna “Kali” Weynerowska (1918-1998), From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Carmelita, Hanna “Kali” Weynerowska (1918-1998), From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Boy with a rooster, Hanna “Kali” Weynerowska (1918-1998), From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Walking a bird, Hanna “Kali” Weynerowska (1918-1998), From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Umbrellas, Hanna “Kali” Weynerowska (1918-1998), From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Girl with Violets, Hanna “Kali” Weynerowska (1918-1998), From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Mexican Boy – Pablito, Hanna “Kali” Weynerowska (1918-1998), From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Paysage from Faro, Hanna “Kali” Weynerowska (1918-1998), From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Faubourg de Goterborgg, Hanna “Kali” Weynerowska (1918-1998), From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Nature Morte aux Navets, Hanna “Kali” Weynerowska (1918-1998), From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Still life with Poppies, Hanna “Kali” Weynerowska (1918-1998), From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more

Female profile by Antoni Madeyski (1862-1939)The Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Sculpture

The sculptures presented at the Museum were created by eminent European sculptors of the19th and 20th centuries, and represent the trends and tendencies which became pronounced at that time. The artists include: Henryk Stattler, Henryk Glicenstein, Antoni Madeyski, Josef Thorak, Jerzy Stocki, and Maciej Piotrowski. The works were executed using various materials and techniques. The sculptures depict the great national heroes, as well as art and science patrons. Contemporary folk sculpture (around 700 works) accounts for a large part of the collection. The folk sculpture collection represents an interesting aesthetic value. The subject matter of the works is deeply rooted in the popular religious tradition. The collection is rich in Marian iconography and images of Pensive Christ. The works were executed by well-known and highly valued folk art sculptors (R. Śledź, E. Zegadło). The collection has been created with the help of numerous donors, including: Walter Unternährer, Prof. Jerzy Langman from Rome, Dr. Hans Haab.

Ivory medallions with portraits of King Jan III Sobieski and Maria Kazimiera, Unknown artist, 1801/1900, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Bust of Teresa Silberstein, Henryk Glicenstein (1870-1942), 1898, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Bust of Bohdan Józef Zaleski (19th c.), Henryk Stattler (1834--1877), From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Female profile, Antoni Madeyski (1862-1939), From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Józef Piłsudski (1867--1935), Josef Thorak (1889-1952), From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Polish soldiers during the Normandy landings in 1944, Maciej Piotrowski, 1940/1945, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more

Pieta (1986) by Jerzy Stocki (1913–1997)The Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Pieta, Roman Śledź, 1991, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Jesus nailed to the cross, Roman Śledź, 1991, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Entry into Jerusalem, Roman Śledź, 1991, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more

A. NEWE. MAPE ¦ of ¦ POLAND ¦ Done Into English by J. Speede (1626) by Gryp (Grijp) Dirck, Humble George, (1599-1640), Mercator (Kremer, Cramer) Gerard (Gerhard) (1512-1594), and Speed John (Johan) (1552-1629)The Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Collection of maps and prints

The Museum also houses special collections, the most extensive and valuable of them being the cartographic collection, and the collection of prints (etchings, lithographs, steel engravings, xylographs and copperplate engravings). The items in the collections were mainly gifts from Roman Umiastowski. In the summer of 1983, widow of Colonel Roman Umiastowski, acting on her husband’s last will, sent to Rapperswil three large boxes containing Polonica of unique value, a proof of Col. Roman Umiastowski’s passion for collecting. Other significant contributors to the creation and development of the cartographic and prints collections include: Jan Nowak Jeziorański from Washington, Adam Heymowski from Stockholm, Tadeusz Szmitkowski from Geneva, Konstanty Górski and Kazimierz Grocholski. The Museum’s archive holds a collection of over 750 maps of ancient Polish territories. The maps have been described in the catalogue CARTOGRAPHIA RAPPERSVILIANA POLONORUM.

POLONIAE ¦ finitimarumque ¦ locorum descrip:¦tio. Auctore ¦ WENCESLAO GRODECCIO. ¦ Polono. (1584) by Grodecki (Grodeccius, Grodeccio) Wacław (Wenceslaus) (+1591), Ortelius (Ortel, Ortell, Oertel, Wortels) Abraham (1527-1598), and Plantin (Plantijn, Platevoet) Christopher (Christoffel) (1514-1589)The Polish Museum in Rapperswil

POLONIÆ ¦ AMPLISSIMI ¦ REGNI.. TYPVS ¦ GEOGRAPHICVS., Jode Cornelius de (1588-1600), Jode (Judaeis, Judaeus, Iuddeis) Gerard de (1509-1591), 1593, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
REGNI ¦ POLONIAE ¦ MAGNIQUE DUCATUS ¦ LITHUANIAE ¦, Adelbauer (Adelbaulneri) E., Doppelmajero (Doppelmayr, Doppelmayer) Johan Gabriel (1671-1750), Homann (Homanno) Jan (Johann) Chrzciciel (Baptist) (1663-1724), Starowolski (Starovolsk) Szymon (1588-1656), 1739, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more

Cracovia, minoris Poloniae metropolis (1580/1620)The Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Nissa Silesior fedes Episcopalis. Legnicium (ca. 1617)The Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Tipus civitatis Lublinesi in Regno Poloniae ex omnibus partibus mudi emporio ter. in ano celebrari cosvetoclarae, ca. 1617, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Dantzigt, ca. 1575, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more

Maltese crossThe Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Medals, orders and coins

Rapperswil’s Museum holds an extensive numismatic collection, comprising around 1,500 coins and medals from the 16th century until present. The phaleristic collection features orders and decorations, jewellery, memorabilia, distinction badges, patriotic and commemorative badges, both Polish and international, dating from the 19th until the late 20th century. Some of the orders belonged to Karol Potulicki and Julian Godlewski. The collection of medals and decorations contains commemorative and jubilee medals, Polish and international decorations, and badges. The collection includes legionary badges, badges of the 2nd Rifle Division, and of the Polish Armed Forces of the 20th century. The collection of orders comprises both those of the highest rank, in all classes, and several impressive rare foreign orders, such as: the Maltese cross, the French Order of the Legion of Honour, or the Dominican Order. Particularly noteworthy is the gold bracelet consisting of five original gold ducats with their reverse sides up, depicting the Polish kings of the 17th and 18th centuries. The bracelet is a gift of Princess Maria Sapieha.

Ducat from the reign of King Jan III Sobieski, 1683: the obverse, 1683, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
A ducat from the reign of King Jan III Sobieski, 1683: the reverse, 1683, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
JOANNES III REX medal: the obverse, 1788, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
JOANNES III REX medal: the reverse, 1788, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more

Gold bracelet by Unknown artistThe Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Gold bracelet, Unknown artist, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Medal commemorating the monetary reform of 1766 - the obverse, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more

French Order of the Legion of Honour, Officer’s Cross (1870)The Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Maltese crossThe Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Grand Cross of the Order of Virtuti Militari, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Star of the Order of Virtuti Militari, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more

Selenographia sive Lunae descriptio (1647) by Johannes HeveliusThe Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Old prints

The present, post-war collection of old prints in the Polish Museum in Rapperswil includes 201 bibliographical items in 219 volumes (5 incunabula, 34 prints from the 16th century, 72 prints from the 17th century, and 90 prints from the 18th century). Among them, there are no items from the pre-war Rapperswil collection. The collection was formed predominantly through gifts from the Polish emigrant community.

The Polish Museum owes its collection of old prints mainly to Col. Roman Umiastowski, a distinguished antiquarian who amassed a unique collection of books, maps, atlases and prints, which was handed over to the Museum by his widow, Joanna Umiastowska, in 1983 . Especially valuable items include: Selenography by Jan Hevelius (a 17th century print), On the Revolutions of the Celestial Spheres by Nicolaus Copernicus (a 16th century print), and the 16th century Jewish Book of Genealogy, Sefer Yuhasin.

The Bible (1476) by Franciscus Renner et Nicolaus de FrancofordiaThe Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Missale Romanum (1482) by Stephanus PlannckThe Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Missale Romanum (1482) by Stephanus PlannckThe Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Selenographia sive Lunae descriptio, Johannes Hevelius, 1647, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Selenographia sive Lunae descriptio, Johannes Hevelius, 1647, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Selenographia sive Lunae descriptio, Johannes Hevelius, 1647, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
De revolutionibus orbium coelestium libri VI. (title page), Nicolaus Copernicus, 1566, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
De revolutionibus orbium coelestium libri VI. (K. 67 recto.), Nicolaus Copernicus, 1566, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more

Geographia Blaviana Atlas Maior (1662) by Blaeu Joannes (Jean, Johann, John) (1596-1673)The Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Book of Genealogies - “Sefer Yuhasin” (Heb. ספר יוחסין) (1580) by Abraham ZacutoThe Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Sefer sheelot ve-teshuvot bayt hadash ha-hadashot, Serkes (Sirkes; Syrkes; Syrkin) Joel ben Samuel (Szmuel) [Segal Jaffe, 1785, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more

Hussar armour bevor (XVII w.)The Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Militaria

The militaria collection is extremely varied and was formed through gifts from the Polish expat community.

The Museum showcases Polish and international historical weapons. The collection comprises: cold steel (17th-20th century), firearms (19th-20th c.), helmets, patriotic memorabilia, battle iconography, World War II uniforms of soldiers from the 2nd Rifle Division and items of military equipment, Oriental style hussar helmets.

Polish winged hussar helmet (shishak) (XVII w.)The Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Polish winged hussar helmet (shishak) (1650/1750)The Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Hussar armour breastplate, XVII w., From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more

Hussar armour bevor (XVII w.)The Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Turkish shamshir sabre (1800/1850) by UnknownThe Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Polish sabre (1600/1700)The Polish Museum in Rapperswil

French light cavalry sabre AN.XI, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more

Twin-barrel cap gun (1840/1854)The Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Military flintlock holster pistol, used by Navy or cavalry, 1790/1825, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Military type flintlock pistol, 1850/1950, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more

Flight log book of Jan Zumbach (1940)The Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Flight log book of Jan Zumbach (1940)The Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Flight log book of Jan Zumbach (1940)The Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Set of Jewish ceremonial objects (1801/1900)The Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Judaica

The objects in the Museum’s collection are testimonies of the Jewish culture in Poland. They came to the Museum as gifts from Izabela Landsberger-Poznańska. The main items in the Judaica collection are: a yad - a pointer used when reading the Torah; a tas (Torah pendant, scroll shield); a silver besamim box (container for spices); and a Jewish ceremonial hat used during festive celebrations.

Another valuable item in this collection is the Book of Genealogy, Sefer Yuhasin, a History of the Jewish People (since the Creation of the World until 1500), written by Abraham Zacuto in 16th century. The book is a gift of Roman Umiastowski.

Ceremonial Jewish hat (1801/1900) by Unknown artistThe Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Tas (a Torah pendant, scroll shield), Unknown artist, 1898, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Yad (a pointer used for Torah reading), Unknown artist, 1801/1900, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Besamim box (a container for spices), Unknown artist, 1801/1900, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more

Book of Genealogies - “Sefer Yuhasin” (Heb. ספר יוחסין) (1580) by Abraham ZacutoThe Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Pocket watch with an engraved surname of W. Grabiński by Patek Philippe&Co.The Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Watches

The collection of watches is mainly composed of 19th century items. The Museum’s holdings include several watches produced by Czapek and Co. from Geneva, Patek and Co., and Patek Philippe and Company. The names of the companies derive from the names of their founders: Antoni Norbert Patek, an insurgent of the January Uprising, and Franciszek Czapek. The most valuable exhibits include watches with religious motifs and Polish national motifs: a portrait of Adam Mickiewicz, a depiction of a Polish scythe-bearing insurgent, an image of Our Lady of Ostra Brama. The collection was formed mainly through gifts from Julian Godlewski, Count Aleksander Sapieha and Irena Węcławowic.

Pocket watch with a depiction of Our Lady of Ostra Brama (ca. 1850) by Czapek & CompanyThe Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Pocket watch with a depiction of Our Lady of Ostra Brama, Czapek & Company, ca. 1850, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Pocket watch with a depiction of Our Lady of Ostra Brama, Czapek & Company, ca. 1850, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Pocket watch with a depiction of Our Lady of Ostra Brama, Czapek & Company, ca. 1850, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Pocket watch with a depiction of Our Lady of Ostra Brama, Czapek & Company, ca. 1850, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more

Pocket watch with a portrait of Adam Mickiewicz (1847) by Patek & CompanyThe Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Pocket watch with a portrait of Adam Mickiewicz, Patek & Company, 1847, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Pocket watch with a portrait of Adam Mickiewicz, Patek & Company, 1847, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Pocket watch with a portrait of Adam Mickiewicz, Patek & Company, 1847, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Pocket watch depicting an insurgent armed with a scythe, Patek & Co., ca. 1845, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Pocket watch depicting an insurgent armed with a scythe, Patek & Co., ca. 1845, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Pocket watch depicting an insurgent armed with a scythe, Patek & Co., ca. 1845, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Pocket watch with an engraved surname of W. Grabiński, Patek Philippe&Co., From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Pocket watch with an engraved surname of W. Grabiński, Patek Philippe&Co., From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Pocket watch with an engraved surname of W. Grabiński, Patek Philippe&Co., From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more

Gothic chalice (Ca. 1380) by Unknown artistThe Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Sacred art

The sacred art collection is predominantly made up of items used during the celebration of the Mass: liturgical vessels (a Gothic chalice, 17th century altar cruets) and an ornamental Missal from the 15th century. The exhibits include a reliquary with the remains of St. Stanisław Kostka dating from 17th century, and a 19th century icon of Our Lady of Ostra Brama.
The main donors were Roman Umiastowski, and A.S. Ciechanowski.

Gothic chalice (ca. 1380) by Unknown artistThe Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Two cruets used in Holy Mass, with the Wadwicz coat of arms, Unknown artist, ca. 1600, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Our Lady of Ostra Brama, unknown artist, XIX w., From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Reliquary of St. Stanislaus Kostka, 1710, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Missale Romanum, Stephanus Plannck, 1482, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more

The Bible (1476) by Franciscus Renner et Nicolaus de FrancofordiaThe Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Tapestry with scenes from the life of ancestors of Joachim Silberstein (lata 40. – 50. XIX wieku) by Unknown artistThe Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Textiles

The Museum’s textile collection is composed of miscellaneous objects. These include: a collection of flags and military banners, an embroidered tapestry with Jewish motifs donated by Iza Landsberger-Poznańska. The collection contains a range of kontusz sashes originating mainly from the Polish sash factories in Slutsk and Grodno, dating from the 18th to early 19th century. They exemplify the Polish nobility’s penchant for Oriental culture.

The diversity of this collection reflects the tastes of Polish collectors who, in addition to the goods produced by renowned Western manufacturers, also appreciated the domestic production, fabrics inspired by Oriental designs, and all sorts of textile memorabilia associated with culture. The exhibits include an alms bag used for collecting donations for the poor. The bag, embroidered with gold and silver thread, belonged to Maria Josepha (1731-1767), daughter of August III the Saxon, King of Poland.

Alms bag (1701/1800) by Unknown artistThe Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Silk kontusz sash (front view), The sash factory in Slutsk, 1780/1795, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Polish kontusz sash (rear view), The sash factory in Slutsk, ca. 1700/1800, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Kontusz sash (front view), The sash factory in Grodno, 2. połowa XVIII w., From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Polish kontusz sash (front view), The sash factory in Slutsk, ca. 1700/1800, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Polish kontusz sash (rear view), The sash factory in Slutsk, XVIII w., From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Polish kontusz sash (rear view), The sash factory in Slutsk, XVIII w., From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Polish kontusz sash (front view), The sash factory in Slutsk, ca. 1700/1800, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more

Silk kontusz sash (front view) (ca. 1700/1800) by The sash factory in SlutskThe Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Porcelain figurine “Polish Engagement” (1750/1760) by Johann Joachim Kaendler (1706-1775) and Koenigliche Porcellain Fabrique, Meissen (1710-1763)The Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Porcelain

The porcelain collection features valuable pieces of porcelain produced in the Royal Manufactory in Meissen, including a collection of figurines dating from the period when Johann Joachim Kändler (1731–1763) became the modelmaster at Meissen. He is called the father of European porcelain since he revolutionized the character of the Meissen products by accentuating their visual aesthetics. In addition to porcelain sculptures, he executed small ceramic figurines inspired by the court life, for example the figurines of Polish nobles wearing the traditional kontusz costumes. Several valuable pieces of art come from the old Polish porcelain manufactory in Korzec and Baranówka.
Some of the exhibits were donated by Iza Landsberger-Poznańska and Elżbieta Rufener-Sapieha.

Prince Józef Poniatowski, ca. 1900, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Figurine of a noblewoman in Polish costume, Johann Joachim Kaendler (1706-1775), Koenigliche Porcellain Fabrique, Meissen (1710-1763), 1750/1760, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Figurine of a nobleman in Polish costume, Johann Joachim Kaendler (1706-1775), Koenigliche Porcellain Fabrique, Meissen (1710-1763), 1750/1760, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Figurine of a nobleman in Polish costume, Johann Joachim Kaendler (1706-1775), Koenigliche Porcellain Fabrique, Meissen (1710-1763), 1750/1760, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more

Open-work plate (1720/1740) by Koenigliche Porcellain Fabrique, Meissen (1710-1763)The Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Silent keyboard of Ignacy Jan Paderewski (ca. 1900)The Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Historical memorabilia

The collection features objects associated with historical figures and prominent Poles: the silent piano which belonged to Ignacy Jan Paderewski, a cast of Frederic Chopin’s hand and his death mask, a set of radioactivity measurement devices from Marie Curie-Skłodowska’s laboratory. Moreover, the collection includes memorabilia commemorating the martyrology of the Polish people, which were created by the January Uprising insurgents deported to Siberia, and prisoners of the Soviet labour camps, and German concentration camps. Among the donors are both institutions (the Curie Laboratory in Paris), and individuals: Prof. Janina Turczyńska, Dr. Jan Godlewski, Andrzej Romer.

Death mask of Frederic Chopin, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
A bronze cast of the left hand of Frederic Chopin, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more

A set of instruments used by Marie Curie to measure natural radioactivity (ca. 1880/1920)The Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Silent keyboard of Ignacy Jan Paderewski, ca. 1900, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Walking stick of mammoth bone, autor nieznany, 1868, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Polish insurgent’s konfederatka cap of 1863/64, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
German helmet with a white and red band of the Warsaw Uprising insurgents of 1944, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Helmet worn in Gdansk Shipyard, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Cross made of tooth brush, Unknown artist, 1 poł. XX w., From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Image of the Virgin Mary carved of bread, Unknown artist, 1 poł XX w., From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more

Rosary made of threads and a hand-sewn bag of blanket. (1 poł. XX w.) by Unknown artistThe Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Cut-out from the Łowicz region by Krystyna Lis?The Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Folk art

The collection is composed of over 800 objects, including folk costumes from different regions of Poland, cut-outs, Krakow Christmas cribs, and glass paintings - all attesting to the richness of Polish folk art.

Cut-out from the Łowicz region by Krystyna Lis?The Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Cut-out from the Łowicz region by Krystyna Lis?The Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Cut-out from the Łowicz region by Krystyna Lis?The Polish Museum in Rapperswil

Cut-out from the Łowicz region by Krystyna Lis?The Polish Museum in Rapperswil

“Cucha” jacket from the Podhale region, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Folk costume from the Opoczno region, Unknown artist, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more
Easter eggs, From the collection of: The Polish Museum in Rapperswil
Show lessRead more